Christos Davatzikos, Ph.D.
Wallace T. Miller Sr. Professor of Radiology,
University of Pennsylvania
and Electrical and Systems Engineering,
Director, Center for Biomedical Image Computing and Analytics
Director, Section of Biomedical Image Analysis
Joint Affiliations: Bioengineering and Applied Math graduate groups
Richards Building, 7th Floor
3700 Hamilton Walk
Philadelphia PA 19104
Biomedical Image Analysis, Machine learning in Imaging,
Imaging Biomarkers of Neurologic and Neuropsychiatric Diseases.
Ph.D.: Electrical and Computer Engineering, JHU, 1994
B.Sc.: National Technical University of Athens, Greece, 1989 (EE&CS)
REPRESENTATIVE PUBLICATIONS For a full list of publications check here
- Habes M, Erus G, Toledo JB, Zhang T, Bryan N, Laune LJ, Rosseel Y, Janowitz D, Doshi J, Van der Auwera S, von Sarnowski B, Hegenscheid K, Hosten N, Homuth G, Völzke H, Schminke U, Hoffmann W, Grabe H, Davatzikos C. "White matter hyperintensities and imaging patterns of brain aging in the general population", Brain, 2016, In Press. DOI 10.1093/brain/aww008
- Dong, A, Honnorat, N, Gaonkar, B, Davatzikos, C, "CHIMERA: Clustering of heterogeneous disease effects via distribution matching of imaging patterns", IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, October 2015, [Epub ahead of print]
- Macyszyn, L, Akbari, H, Pisapia, JM, Da, X, Attiah, M, Pigrish V, Bi Y, Pal S, Davuluri RV, Roccograndi L, Dahmane N, Martinez-Lage M, Biros G, Wolf RL, Bilello M, O'Rourke DM, Davatzikos, C,"Imaging patterns predict patient survival and molecular subtype in glioblastoma via machine learning techniques" Neuro Oncology, July 2015, [Epub ahead of print]
Zhang, N. Koutsouleris, E. Meisenzahl, C.
Davatzikos, "Heterogeneity of Structural Brain Changes in Subtypes of
Schizophrenia Revealed Using MRI Pattern Analysis", Schizophrenia Bulletin,
41(1), 74-84, January 2015, Epub 2014 Sep 26
Eavani, T. D. Satterthwaite, R. Filipovych, R. E. Gur, R. C. Gur, C. Davatzikos, "Identifying Sparse
Connectivity Patterns in the brain using resting-state fMRI", NeuroImage, 105, 286-99, January 2015, Epub 2014 Oct 2, PMCID: PMC4262564
- Erus G, Battapady H, Zhang T, Lovato J, Miller ME,
Williamson JD, Launer, LJ, Bryan, RN, Davatzikos, C. "Spatial Patterns of Structural Brain Changes in Type-2 Diabetic Patients and Their Longitudinal Progression with Intensive Control of Blood Glucose", Diabetes Care, 38(1), 97-104, January 2015, Epub
2014 Oct 21, PMCID: PMC4274773
G. Erus, H. Battapady, T.D. Satterthwaite, H. Hakonarson, R. E. Gur, C. Davatzikos, R. C. Gur,
"Imaging Patterns of Brain Development and their Relationship to Cognition", Cerebral
Cortex, January 2014, epub ahead of print
- H. Akbari, L. Macysyzn,
X. Da, R. L. Wolf, M. Bilello, R. Verma, D. M. O'Rourke, C. Davatzikos,
"Pattern Analysis of Dynamic Susceptibility Contrast MRI Reveals Peritumoral Tissue Heterogeneity", Radiology,
273 (2), 502-510, November 2014 PMCID: PMC4208985
- Ou, Y., Akbari, H., Bilello, M., Da, X., Davatzikos, C., "Comparative Evaluation
of Registration Algorithms in Different Brain Databases With Varying Difficult:
Results and Insights", IEEE Trans. On Medical Imaging, 33(10), pp. 2039-2065,
- R. A. Yotter, J. Doshi, V. Clark, J. Sojkova, Y. Zhou, D. F. Wong, L. Ferrucci, S. M. Resnick, C. Davatzikos, "Memory decline shows stronger associations with estimated spatial patterns of amyloid deposition progression than total amyloid burden", Neurobiology of Aging,
34(12), 2835-2842, December 2013, PMCID: PMC3893024.
- X. Da, J. B. Toledo, J. Zee, D. A. Wolk, S. X.
Xie, Y. Ou, A. Shacklett, P. Parmpi, L. Shaw, J. Q. Trojanowski,
C. Davatzikos, ADNI, "Integration and relative value of biomarkers for prediction of MCI to AD progression: spatial patterns of brain atrophy, cognitive scores, APOE genotype and CSF biomarkers", NeuroImage,
4, 164-173, November 2013, highlighted article, 2014, PMCID:PMC3871290
Gaonkar, B., and C. Davatzikos.
"Analytic estimation of statistical significance maps for support vector machine based multi-variate image analysis and
classification", NeuroImage, 78,270-283,
September 2013, PMCID: PMC3767485
Sotiras, A., Davatzikos, C., Paragios, N., "Deformable Medical Image Registration: A Survey", Medical Imaging, IEEE Transactions on, 32,(7), pp.1153,1190, July 2013, PMCID: PMC3745275
A. Gooya, K. Pohl, M. Bilello, L. Cirillo, G. Biros, E.R. Melhem, C. Davatzikos, "GLISTR: Glioma Image Segmentation and Registration", IEEE
Transactions on Medical Imaging, 31(10), 1941-54, October 2012
- Weintraub D, Dietz N, Duda JE, Wolk D, Doshi J, Xie SX, Davatzikos C, Clark C, Siderowf A.
"Alzheimer's disease pattern of brain atrophy predicts cognitive decline in Parkinson's disease", Brain, 135, 170-180, January 2012.
- N.K. Batmanghelich, B. Tasker,
"Generative-discriminative basis learning for medical imaging", IEEE
Transactions on Medical Imaging, 31(1), 51-69, January 2012, (NIHMSID #385277), PMCID: PMC3402718
- Davatzikos C, Bhatt P, Shaw LM,
Batmanghelich KN, Trojanowski JQ., "Prediction of MCI
to AD conversion, via MRI, CSF biomarkers, and pattern classification", Neurobiology
of Aging, 32(12), 2322.e19-2322.e27, December 2011
- L.J. Launer, J. Williamson, R.N. Bryan, M. Miller, R.M. Lazar, H.C. Gerstein, A.M. Murray, M.D., Sullivan, K.R. Horowitz, J. Ding, C. Truwit, J.L. Sunshine, J. Maldjian, J. Hirsch, L. Coker, L.C. Lovato, J. Lovato, C.
Davatzikos,"Effects of randomization to intensive glucose lowering on brain structure and function in Type 2 Diabetes: ACCORD Memory in Diabetes
Study", The Lancet Neurology, 10(11):969-77, November 2011
- T. Zhang and C. Davatzikos. "ODVBA: Optimally-Discriminative Voxel-Based
Analysis", IEEE Transactions in Medical Imaging, 30(8), 1441-54, August 2011.
- Y. Ou, A. Sotiras, N. Paragios, C. Davatzikos,
"DRAMMS: deformable registration via attribute matching and
mutual-saliency weighting", Medical Image Analysis, 15(4), 622-639, August 2011, PMCID: PMC3012150
- Filipovych, R. and Davatzikos, C., "Semi-supervised Pattern Classification of Medical Images: Application to Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI)", NeuroImage,
55(3), 1109-1119, April 2011
- A. Gooya, G. Biros, C. Davatzikos, "Deformable Registration of Glioma Images Using EM Algorithm and Diffusion Reaction Modeling", IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 30(2), 375-390, February 2011, PMCID:
- J. Hamm, D. H. Ye, R. Verma, C. Davatzikos, "GRAM: A framework for geodesic registration on anatomical manifolds", Medical Image Analysis, 14 (5): 633-642, October 2010 (PMID: 20580597, PMCID: PMC2935207), Best paper award.
- Y. Wang, Y. Fan, P. Bhatt, and C. Davatzikos,
"High-Dimensional Pattern Regression Using Machine Learning: From Medical Images to Continuous Clinical Variables", NeuroImage, 50(4): 1519-1535, May 2010
- E.I. Zacharaki, S. Wang, S. Chawla, D.S. Yoo, R. Wolf, E.R. Melhem, C. Davatzikos, "Classification
of Brain Tumor Type and Grade Using MRI Texture and Shape in a Machine Learning Scheme", Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 62(6):1609-1618, October 2009
Y. Ou, D. Shen, J. Zeng, L. Sun, J. Moul, C. Davatzikos,
"Sampling the spatial patterns of cancer: Optimized biopsy procedures for estimating prostate cancer volume and Gleason Score", Medical Image Analysis,
13(4): 609-620, # 3 Top 25 Hottest Articles in Computer Science
Medical Image Analysis in July - September 2009, August 2009
E.I Zacharaki, C.S Hogea
D. Shen, G. Biros, C. Davatzikos, "Non-diffeomorphic registration of brain tumor images by
simulating tissue loss and tumor growth", NeuroImage,
46(3):762-774, July 2009
- Davatzikos, C., Xu,
F.; An, Y.; Fan, Y.,Resnick, S.,. "Longitudinal
progression of Alzheimer's-like patterns of atrophy in normal older adults: the
SPARE-AD index", Brain, 132 (8): 2026-2035, May 2009
- S. Baloch, R. Verma, H. Huang, P. Khurd, S. Clark, P. Yarowsky, T.
Abel, S. Mori, C. Davatzikos, "Quantification of brain maturation and growth patterns in C57BL/6J mice via computational neuroanatomy of diffusion tensor images", Cerebral Cortex, 19(3): 675-687, March 2009
- C. Hogea, C. Davatzikos, and G. Biros, "Brain-tumor interaction biophysical models for
medical image registration", SIAM J. Sci., 30
(6), pp. 3050-3072, October 2008
- C. Davatzikos, S.M. Resnick, X. Wu, P. Parmpi, C.M.
Clark, "Individual patient diagnosis of AD and FTD via high-dimensional pattern classification of MRI", Neuroimage, 41(4):1220-1227. Epub 8 April 2008, July 2008
- C. Davatzikos, Y. Fan, X. Wu, D. Shen, S.M. Resnick, "Detection of prodromal Alzheimer's disease via pattern classification of magnetic resonance imaging", Neurobiology
of Aging, 29(4):514-523, April 2008
- Fan, N. Batmanghelich, C.M. Clark, C.
Davatzikos and the Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging
Initiative, "Spatial patterns of brain atrophy in MCI patients, identified via
high-dimensional pattern classification, predict subsequent cognitive decline",
Neuroimage, 39 (4): p. 1731-1743, February 2008, (one of the top 10 cited papers of 2008)
- Y. Fan, R.E. Gur, R.C. Gur, D. Shen, M.E. Calkins, C. Davatzikos, "Unaffected
Family Members and Schizophrenia Patients Share Brain Structure Patterns: a High-Dimensional Pattern Classification Study Biological Psychiatry", Biological
Psychiatry, 63(1):118-124, January 2008
- R. Verma, P. Khurd, C. Davatzikos, "On Analyzing Diffusion Tensor Images by
Identifying Manifold Structure using Isomaps", IEEE
Transactions on Medical Imaging, 26 (6): 772-778, June 2007.
- Y. Zhan, D.Shen, J. Zeng, L. Sun, G. Fichtinger, J. Moul,
C. Davatzikos, "Targeted Prostate Biopsy Using Statistical Image Analysis", IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 26(6):779-788, 2007.
- Y. Fan, D.Shen, R.C. Gur, R.E. Gur, and C. Davatzikos, "COMPARE: Classification Of Morphological Patterns using Adaptive Regional
Elements", IEEE Trans. on Medical Imaging, 26(1), 93-105, 2007.
- B. Karacali, C. Davatzikos, "Simulation of Tissue Atrophy Using a Topology Preserving
Transformation Model", IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 25(5): 649- 652, 2006.
- Z. Xue, D. Shen, B. Karacali, J. Stern, D. Rottenberg, C. Davatzikos, "Simulating deformations of MR brain images for validation of atlas-based segmentation and
registration algorithms", NeuroImage,
- Z. Xue, D. Shen, C. Davatzikos, "Statistical
Representation of High-Dimensional Deformation Fields with Application to
Statistically-Constrained 3D Warping Medical Image Analysis", Medical
Image Analysis, 10(5):740-751, 2006.
- T. Beresford, D. B. Arciniegas, J. Alfers L. Clapp, B. Martin, Y. Du, D. Liu, D. Shen, and C. Davatzikos, "Disulfiram adherence preserves total hippocampus volume during the first 6 months of abstinence", ALCOHOLISM-CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL RESEARCH,
30, Suppl. S, pp. 190A-190A, 2006.
- A. Mohamed, D. Shen, E.
Zacharaki, C. Davatzikos, "Deformable Registration of Brain Tumor Images
via a Statistical Model of Tumor-Induced Deformation", Medical Image Analysis, 10(5), 752-763, 2006.
- J. N. Giedd, L.S. Clasen, R. Lenroot, D. Greenstein,
G.L. Wallace, S. Ordaz, E.A. Molloy, J.D. Blumenthal,
J.W. Tossell, C. Stayer, C.A. Samango-Sprouse, D. Shen, C.
Davatzikos, D. Merke, G.P. Chrousos,
"Puberty-related influences on brain development", Molecular and Cellular
Endocrinology, 254-255, 154-162, July 2006.
Z. Xue, D. Shen, C. Davatzikos, "CLASSIC: Consistent
Longitudinal Alignment and Segmentation for Serial Image Computing", NeuroImage, 30(2):388-399, 2006.
C. Davatzikos, D. Shen,
R.C. Gur, X. Wu, D. Liu, Y. Fan, P. Hughett, B.I., Turetsky, R.E., Gur, "Whole-brain morphometric study of schizophrenia reveals a spatially complex set of focal Abnormalities",
JAMA Archives of General Psychiatry, 62, 1218-1227, 2005.
- C. Davatzikos, M. Acharyya,
K. Ruparel, D.G. Shen, J. Loughhead,
R.C. Gur, and D. Langleben, "Classifying spatial
patterns of brain activity for lie-detection", NeuroImage, 28(3): 663-668, 2005.
- R. Verma, S. Mori, D. Shen,
P. Yarowsky, C. Davatzikos, "Spatiotemporal maturation patterns of murine
brain quantified via diffusion tensor MRI and deformation-based morphometry", Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) 102(19): 6978-6983, May 2005.
- C. Davatzikos, "Why Voxel-Based Morphometric Analysis Should be Used with Great Caution When Characterizing Group Differences", NeuroImage, 23,17-20, 2004.
- T. Liu, D. Shen, C. Davatzikos,"Deformable registration of cortical structures via hybrid
volumetric and surface warping", NeuroImage, 22, 1790-1801, 2004.
D. Shen, C. Davatzikos, "Measuring Temporal Morphological Changes Robustly in Brain MR
Images Via 4-Dimensional Template Warping", NeuroImage, 21, 1508-1517, April 2004.
B. Karacali, C.
Davatzikos, "Estimating Topology Preserving and Smooth Displacement Fields", IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 23(7), p. 868-880, 2004
- D. Xu, S. Mori, D. Shen, P.C.M. van Zijl, and C.
Davatzikos, "Spatial normalization of diffusion tensor fields", Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 50, 175-182, 2003.
- Resnick SM, Pham DL, Kraut MA, Zonderman AB, Davatzikos C, "Longitudinal
MRI studies of older adults: a shrinking brain", Journal of Neuroscience, 23(3), 295-301, 2003.
- J. Ashburner, J.G. Csernansky, C. Davatzikos, N.C. Fox, G. B. Frisoni, P.M. Thompson, "Computer-assisted imaging to assess brain structure in healthy and diseased brains", The Lancet (Neurology),
2, 79-88, 2003.
- D. Shen, C. Davatzikos, "HAMMER: Hierarchical Attribute Matching Mechanism for Elastic Registration", IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 21(11):1421-1439, 2002.
C. Davatzikos , S.M. Resnick, "Degenerative age changes in white matter connectivity visualized in vivo using magnetic resonance imaging", Cerebral
Cortex, 12767-771, 2002. Appeared as one of the highlights in August's Nature Neuroscience Reviews issue.
- C. Davatzikos, A. Genc, D. Xu, S.M. Resnick, "Voxel-Based Morphometry Using the RAVENS Maps: Methods and Validation Using Simulated Longitudinal Atrophy", NeuroImage, 14, 1361-1369, December 2001 Used for this issue's cover.
S.M. Resnick, A.F. Goldszal, C. Davatzikos, S. Golski,
M.A. Kraut, E.J. Metter, R.N. Bryan and A.B. Zonderman, "One-year age changes in MRI brain volumes in older adults", Cerebral Cortex, 10, 464-472, 2000.
- C. Davatzikos and J.L. Prince, "Convexity
Analysis of Active Contour Problems", Image and Vision Computing Journal,
17(1):27-36, January 1999.
C. Davatzikos, "Mapping Image Data to Stereotaxic Spaces: Applications to Brain Mapping", J.
Human Brain Mapping, 6, 334-338, 1998.
- C. Davatzikos and S.M. Resnick, "Sex differences in anatomic measures of interhemispheric connectivity: correlations with cognition in women but not in men", Cerebral Cortex, 8, 635-640, October/November 1998.
C. Davatzikos, "Spatial Transformation
and Registration of Brain Images Using Elastically Deformable Models", Special issue of Comp. Vis. and Image Understanding on Med. Imag., 66(2), 207-222, May 1997.
- C. Davatzikos and R.N. Bryan, "Using a
deformable surface model to obtain a shape representation of the cortex", IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 15, 785-795, Dec. 1996.
C. Davatzikos, J.L. Prince and N. Bryan,
"Image Registration Based Boundary Mapping", IEEE Transactions on Medical
Imaging, 15(1):112-115, February 1996.
- C. Davatzikos, M. Vaillant, S. Resnick, J.L. Prince, S. Letovsky and R.N. Bryan, "A Computerized Method for
Morphological Analysis of the Corpus Callosum", J.
of Comp. Asstd. Tomography, 20(1): 88-97, January/February 1996.