Tianhao Zhang, Ph. D
( I have been a Lead Scientist at GE since September, 2015. )
Research Associate of Radiology, Center for Biomedical Image Computing and Analytics,
Department of Radiology, Perelman School of Medicine,
University of Pennsylvania
What is new?
1. I have been a Lead Scientist at GE since September, 2015.
2. I have been awarded the Travel Grant by the annual Women's Health Initiative (WHI) Investigator Meeting in Seattle.
3. I have been selected to receive a Trainee Abstract Travel Award for the 2013 OHBM Annual Meeting. (There are 140 award recipients out of 1281 applications)
4. Our LLTSA work has been listed as Most Cited Neurocomputing Articles in the official Neurocomputing website.
5. We ranked the 2nd place out of 21 teams in the ADHD-200 Global Competition.
v Research Associate of Radiology, 2013-2015
Departments of Radiology
University of Pennsylvania
Departments of Radiology
University of Pennsylvania
Ph.D. in Pattern Recognition and
Intelligence System, 2008
Institute of Image Processing and Pattern Recognition,
Shanghai Jiao Tong University , Shanghai, China
Department of Computing,
Hong Kong Polytechnic University
B.S. in Electrical Engineering,
Shandong University, Ji'nan, China
1. NeuroImaging (sMRI and fMRI)
2. Pattern Recognition
3. MRI-based diagnosis on Alzheimer's Disease, MCI, Schizophrenia, Autism, ADHD, etc
Publications (Google Scholar Citations)
1. Mohamad Habes, Guray Erus, Jon B. Toledo, Tianhao Zhang, Nick Bryan, Lenore J. Launer, Yves Rosseel et al., "White matter hyperintensities and imaging patterns of brain ageing in the general population", Brain, volume 139, issue 4, pp: 1164-1179, 2016. doi:10.1093/brain/aww008
2. Tianhao Zhang, Ramon Casanova, Susan M. Resnick, JoAnn E. Manson, Laura D. Baker, Claudia B. Padual, Lewis H. Kuller, R. Nick Bryan, Mark A. Espeland, and Christos Davatzikos. "Effects of Hormone Therapy on Brain Volumes Changes of Postmenopausal Women Revealed by Optimally-Discriminative Voxel-Based Morphometry", PLOS ONE, 11(3): e0150834, 2016.
3. Anjali Sankar, Tianhao Zhang, Bilwaj Gaonkar, Jimit Doshi, Guray Erus, Sergi G. Costafreda, Lauren Marangell, Christos Davatzikos, Cynthia H.Y. Fu, "Diagnostic potential of structural neuroimaging for depression from a multi-ethnic community sample", British Journal of Psychiatry Open, 2 (4) 247-254, 2016.
4. Tianhao Zhang, Nikolaos Koutsouleris, Eva Meisenzahl, Christos Davatzikos, "Heterogeneity of Structural Brain Changes in Subtypes of Schizophrenia Revealed Using Magnetic Resonance Imaging Pattern Analysis", Schizophrenia Bulletin, volume 41, issue 1, pp: 74-84. 2015. doi: 10.1093/schbul/sbu136
5. Guray Erus, Harsha Battapady, Tianhao Zhang, James Lovato, Michael E. Miller, Jeff D. Williamson, Lenore J Launer, R Nick Bryan, Christos Davatzikos, "Spatial Patterns of Structural Brain Changes in Type-2 Diabetic Patients and Their Longitudinal Progression with Intensive Control of Blood Glucose", Diabetes Care, vol. 38, no. 1, 97-104, 2015. doi:10.2337/dc14-1196
6. Tiffany M. Chaim, Tianhao Zhang, Marcus V. Zanetti, Maria Aparecida da Silva, Mario R. Louza, Jimit Doshi, Mauricio H. Serpa, Sheila C. Caetano, Christos Davatzikos, Geraldo F. Busatto, "Multimodal Magnetic Resonance Imaging study of treatment-naive adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder", PLOS ONE, 9(10): e110199, 2014. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0110199
7. Tianhao Zhang and Christos Davatzikos, "Optimally-Discriminative Voxel-Based Morphometry significantly increases the ability to detect group differences in Schizophrenia, Mild Cognitive Impairment, and Alzheimer's Disease", NeuroImage, vol. 79, pp: 94-110, 2013.
8. Tianhao Zhang and Christos Davatzikos, "ODVBA: Optimally-Discriminative Voxel-Based Analysis", IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 30, no. 8, pp: 1441-1454, 2011.
10. T. Zhang, K. Huang, X. Li, J, Yang, D. Tao, "Discriminative Orthogonal Neighborhood Preserving Projections for Classification", IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Part B, vol. 40, no. 1, 2010.
11. T. Zhang, X. Li, D. Tao, J, Yang, "Multimodal Biometrics using Geometry Preserving Projections", Pattern Recognition, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 805-813, 2008.
12. T. Zhang, X. Li, D. Tao, J, Yang, "Local Coordinates Alignment (LCA): a Novel Method for Manifold Learning", International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 667-690, 2008.
13. T. Zhang, J, Yang, X, Ge, D. Zhao, "Linear Local Tangent Space Alignment and Application to Face Recognition", Neurocomputing, vol. 70, no. 7-9, pp. 1547-1553, 2007. Most Cited Neurocomputing Articles! Software #1: In Matlab Toolbox; Software #2: In SHOGUN
14. T. Zhang, J. Yang, H. Wang, C. Du, D. Zhao, "Maximum Variance Projections for Face Recognition", Optical Engineering, vol. 46, no. 6, 067206, 2007.
15. C. Du, J. Yang, Q. Wu, T. Zhang, "Face recognition using message passing based clustering method". Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation, vol. 20, no. 8, pp: 608-613, 2009.
16. X. Yang, Y. Zhou, T. Zhang, G. Shu, J. Yang, "Gait Recognition based on Dynamic Region Analysis", Signal Processing, vol. 88, no.9, pp: 2350-2356, 2008.
17. X. Yang, Y. Zhou, T. Zhang, E. Zheng, J. Yang, "Gabor Phase Based Gait Recognition", Electronics Letters, vol. 44, no.10, pp: 620-621, 2008.
18. C. Du, J. Yang, Q. Wu, T. Zhang, S. Yu, "Locality preserving projections plus affinity propagation: a fast method for face recognition", Optical Engineering, vol. 47, no. 040501, 2008.
19. R. Liu, E. Liu, J. Yang, T. Zhang F. Wang, "Infrared small target detection with kernel Fukunaga-Koontz transform", Measurement Science & Technology, vol.18, pp. 3025-3035, 2007.
20. R. Liu, E. Liu, J. Yang, T. Zhang, Y. Cao, "Point target detection of infrared images with Eigentargets", Optical Engineering, vol.46, no.11, 110502, 2007.
21. X. Ge, J. Yang, T. Zhang, H. Wang, C. Du, "Three-dimensional Face Pose Estimation based on Novel Nonlinear Discriminant Representation", Optical Engineering, 45, 090503, September 2006.
22. T. Zhang and J. Yang, "Local Coordinates Alignment", Journal of Shanghai Jiaotong University, vol. 42, no. 4, 2008.
23. X. Yang, Y. Zhou, G. Shu, T. Zhang, "Manifold Learning Based Gait Recognition Using Gabor Phase Spectrum", Acta Electronica Sinica, 37 (4): 753-757, 2009.
24. R. Liu, E. Liu, J. Yang, T. Zhang, F. Wang, "Detect infrared point targets based on kernel Fukunaga-Koontz transform", Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 47-50, 2008.
25. C. Du, J. Yang, T. Zhang, Z. Wu, X. Jing, "Support vector machine classifier based active shape model", infrared and laser engineering, vol. 10, 2006.
26. L. Jian and T. Zhang, "Adjusting Uneven Brightness of Spray Liquid Particle Image", Computer Engineering, vol. 7, 2006.
27. L. Jian and T. Zhang, "Preprocessing Image of Spray Drops", Journal of Xi'an Technological University, vol. 4, 2006.
28. X. Ge, J. Yang, T. Zhang, C. Du, "Application of an Improved Active Shape Model Method in Face Features Location", Journal of Shanghai Jiaotong University. vol. 8, 2007.
Conferences (including full length papers & abstracts):
29. Theodore Satterthwaite, Daniel Wolf, Simon Vandekar, Monica Calkins, Tianhao Zhang, Guray Erus, et al. "Progressive Abnormalities of Structural Brain Maturation in Youth with Psychosis-Spectrum Symptoms." Annual Meeting of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP), In NEUROPSYCHOPHARMACOLOGY, vol. 40, pp. S297-S298., 2015.
30. Xiangyang Wang, Tianhao Zhang*, Tiffany Chaim, Marcus Zanetti, Christos Davatzikos, "Classification of MRI under the Presence of Disease Heterogeneity using Multi-Task Learning: Application to Bipolar Disorder", In Proceeding of the 18th Annual International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention (MICCAI), pp. 125-132, 2015. *Corresponding Author.
31. Susanne Steinberg, Marta Vidorreta, Tianhao Zhang, Christos Davatzikos, John Detre, David Wolk, Norman Leopold, Tsao-Wei Liang, "Is Arterial Spin Labeling a Potential Biomarker for Early Stage Lewy Body Spectrum Diseases?", Alzheimer's Association International Conference (AAIC), 2015.
32. Susanne Steinberg, Tianhao Zhang, J-Donald Tournier, Ben Jeurissen, Norman Leopold, Tsao-Wei Liang, Christos Davatzikos, "Optimally-Discriminative Voxel-Based Analysis and High Angular Resolution Diffusion-Weighted Imaging Reveals Connectivity Abnormalities in Early Stage Lewy Body Spectrum Disease", Annual Meeting of the American Society of Neuroradiology (ASNR), 2015.
33. Tianhao Zhang, Ramon Casanova, Susan M. Resnick, Mark A. Espeland, and Christots Davatzikos, "Effects of Hormone Therapy on Brain Volumes Changes of Postmenopausal Women Revealed by Optimally-Discriminative Voxel-Based Morphometry", Annual Women's Health Initiative (WHI) Investigator Meeting, 2014.
34. Marcus V. Zanetti, Tianhao Zhang, Rodrigo Machado-Vieira, Mauricio H. Serpa, Jimit Doshi, Tiffany M. Chaim, Rafael T. de Sousa, Wagner F. Gattaz, Christos Davatzikos, Geraldo F. Busatto, Neuroanatomical Differences between Bipolar I and II Disorders, Annual Meeting of the Society of Biological Psychiatry (SOBP), 2014.
35. T. Zhang, T.D. Satterthwaite, and C. Davatzikos, "ODVBA-C: Optimally-Discriminative Voxel-Based Analysis of Continuous Variables", 3nd International Workshop on Pattern Recognition in NeuroImaging, Accepted, 2013. (PRNI 2013)
36. T. Zhang M. Elliott, T.D. Satterthwaite, and C. Davatzikos, "Multivariate fMRI Analysis using Optimally-Discriminative Voxel-Based Analysis, --with a standard paradigm of finger tapping task", 19th Annual Meeting of the Organization for Human Brain Mapping (OHBM), Seattle, WA, USA, 2013.
37. T. Zhang and C. Davatzikos, Optimally-Discriminative Voxel-Based Morphometry significantly increases the ability to detect group differences in Schizophrenia, Mild Cognitive Impairment, and Alzheimer's Disease, 21st Annual Meeting & Exhibition of the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM), Salt Lake City, UT, USA, 2013.
38. T. Zhang, T.D. Satterthwaite, M. Elliott, R.C. Gur, R.E. Gur, and C. Davatzikos, "Multivariate fMRI Analysis using Optimally-Discriminative Voxel-Based Analysis", In Proceeding of 2nd International Workshop on Pattern Recognition in NeuroImaging, pp. 33-36, 2012. (PRNI 2012)
39. T. Zhang and C. Davatzikos, "Optimally-Discriminative Voxel-based Analysis", In Proceeding of 13th International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention, Vol. 6362, pp: 257-265, 2010. (MICCAI 2010)
41. T. Zhang, D. Tao, X. Li, J, Yang, "A Unifying Framework for Spectral Analysis based Dimensionality Reduction", In Proceeding of The Proceeding of 2008 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, pp. 1670-1677, 2008.
42. T. Zhang, X. Li, D. Tao, J, Yang, "Local Coordinates Alignment and Its Linearization", In Proceeding of The 14th International Conference on Neural Information Processing, Volume 4984, pp. 643-652, 2007.
43. X. Yang, T. Zhang, Yue Zhou, Jie Yang, "Gabor Phase Embedding of Gait Energy Image for Identity Recognition", In Proceeding of 2008 IEEE 8th International Conference on Computer and Information Technology, pp. 361-366, 2008.
44. C. Du, J. Yang, Q. Wu, T. Zhang, H. Wang, L. Chen, Z. Wu, "Extended Fitting methods of Active Shape Model for the Location of Facial Feature Points", In Proceeding of 5th Indian Conference on Computer Vision, Graphics and Image Processing, vol. 4338, pp. 610-618, 2006.
1. Optimally-Discriminative Voxel-Based Analysis (ODVBA): a new tool for analyzing structural and functional MRI, Joint Penn-Hopkins Imaging Statistics Meeting, 2013.
Honors and Awards
1. WHI Investigator Meeting Travel Grant Award, 2014
2. OHBM Trainee Abstract Travel Award, 2013
3. Most Cited Neurocomputing Articles, 2012
4. Best Ph.D Thesis in Shanghai, 2009
5. Samsung Scholarship, 2007
6. Visiting PhD Scholarship of Studying Abroad (awarded by SJTU), 2007